This post is Charlie's birth story.
On
August 5th, I laid down to nap at 4pm and woke at 5pm. Napping for an
hour has become a daily necessity for me since starting my maternity
leave. It's hard for me to sleep any longer than hour even at night.
My stomach muscles are easily fatigued and seize up causing tremendous
amount of pain (my belly was huge!)
As we were sitting down to dinner at 5:45pm, I felt a small leak of amniotic fluid followed by my first contraction. We ate dinner as the contractions continued to get stronger and closer together so off to the hospital we went. We reached the hospital at 7pm with contractions every 3 minutes. It felt like forever to be admitted. I was hooked up to the monitor to see the progression of my contractions. Just laying on the bed was awful, I needed to move. Once I was admitted, I began using all the labor positions I could remember. I squatted on a birthing ball, rocked on the ball, stood up and squatted again, walked, rotated those hips. Then, finally at midnight I was fully dilated. The last centimeter took forever but finally it was time to push. Due to the circumstances of Elena's delivery, I kept moving while in labor--no laying down on the job here. The head portion of the bed was placed upright and I kneeled on the bed using the head area as support. I even used a birthing stool. I laid on my back, on my side (huge fail due to immense sciatica pain down my right leg). We tried everything. I had Carl, 2 midwives, a doula (birth assistant) and a couple of nurses helping me through labor. The strength in this room was amazing. My doula used oils to calm my nausea for which I will always be thankful; my doula rocked! The anesthesiologist had come in several times. I remember toward the end I wanted to take her up on her offer and get an epidural, the pain was intense, so much more intense than with Elena.
When Elena was born, we faced shoulder dystocia where her shoulder became stuck under my pelvis bone after her head delivered. This has been a cause of much anxiety for me during my pregnancy with Charlie. My midwives and I reviewed the risks of a repeat should dystocia and decided to try another natural delivery with the understanding if any red flags appeared we would switch to a cesarean (technically, a big baby was already a red flag). Using different laboring positions benefits both mom and baby but is especially important when trying to reduce shoulder dystocia.
I was strong, I wanted a natural, low intervention, no med birth but as I pushed, it became clear this would not be the case. Charlie's heart rate was dropping too low...then mine started. At 1am, after only an hour of pushing and no change in Charlie's position, the midwives, Carl and I agreed Charlie would be born via cesarean.
I was wheeled to the sterile surgery room. I must say being wheeled around while in labor was no fun. Trying to hold still while contracting every minute so the anesthesiologist can put needles in my back was terrifying, painful and exhausting. Below is a collection of photos taken by an awesome nurse on duty; I'm so glad she asked if we brought a camera.
(Warning some pictures are graphic)
As we were sitting down to dinner at 5:45pm, I felt a small leak of amniotic fluid followed by my first contraction. We ate dinner as the contractions continued to get stronger and closer together so off to the hospital we went. We reached the hospital at 7pm with contractions every 3 minutes. It felt like forever to be admitted. I was hooked up to the monitor to see the progression of my contractions. Just laying on the bed was awful, I needed to move. Once I was admitted, I began using all the labor positions I could remember. I squatted on a birthing ball, rocked on the ball, stood up and squatted again, walked, rotated those hips. Then, finally at midnight I was fully dilated. The last centimeter took forever but finally it was time to push. Due to the circumstances of Elena's delivery, I kept moving while in labor--no laying down on the job here. The head portion of the bed was placed upright and I kneeled on the bed using the head area as support. I even used a birthing stool. I laid on my back, on my side (huge fail due to immense sciatica pain down my right leg). We tried everything. I had Carl, 2 midwives, a doula (birth assistant) and a couple of nurses helping me through labor. The strength in this room was amazing. My doula used oils to calm my nausea for which I will always be thankful; my doula rocked! The anesthesiologist had come in several times. I remember toward the end I wanted to take her up on her offer and get an epidural, the pain was intense, so much more intense than with Elena.
When Elena was born, we faced shoulder dystocia where her shoulder became stuck under my pelvis bone after her head delivered. This has been a cause of much anxiety for me during my pregnancy with Charlie. My midwives and I reviewed the risks of a repeat should dystocia and decided to try another natural delivery with the understanding if any red flags appeared we would switch to a cesarean (technically, a big baby was already a red flag). Using different laboring positions benefits both mom and baby but is especially important when trying to reduce shoulder dystocia.
I was strong, I wanted a natural, low intervention, no med birth but as I pushed, it became clear this would not be the case. Charlie's heart rate was dropping too low...then mine started. At 1am, after only an hour of pushing and no change in Charlie's position, the midwives, Carl and I agreed Charlie would be born via cesarean.
I was wheeled to the sterile surgery room. I must say being wheeled around while in labor was no fun. Trying to hold still while contracting every minute so the anesthesiologist can put needles in my back was terrifying, painful and exhausting. Below is a collection of photos taken by an awesome nurse on duty; I'm so glad she asked if we brought a camera.
(Warning some pictures are graphic)
All
prepped and ready to go. My arms are out with warm blankets on them.
It was so cold in there. Carl was sitting right by my head the entire
time. A blue sheet separated us from viewing the procedure.
Just coming out at 1:41am on August 6th.
Welcome to the world, Charles Richard Stiehl!
The team agreed Charlie was a very fitting name for this "little" guy.
Look
at the cone on that head...for only pushing for an hour, I'd say his
head was lodged pretty good. Oh, and weighing in at 9lbs 11.2oz. That
is 2lbs 8oz larger than Elena!!
Strong and healthy; what a grip!
Sweet, precious Charlie
So sad to be away from mama but oh what a sweet pout face.
Charlie
was given to us while in the operating room but I couldn't hold him,
too many meds in my system, I couldn't stop shaking. Here we are about
30min after birth, he is latched and nursing. A moment we never had
with Elena.
Proud Mama and Daddy. Hard to see but Charlie's head is on the left side of the picture.
My awesome doula!
Siblings meet for the first time just hours after Charlie's birth.
Elena was so happy and excited to meet Charlie.
Grandma and Charlie, hours old
Pop and Charlie, 1 day old
Charlie, 3 days old
Charlie has been nursing like a champ. He lost a little bit of weight in the first 48 hours but starting gaining soon after. He is doing so well, we have been given the option to leave a day early :)
Charlie has been nursing like a champ. He lost a little bit of weight in the first 48 hours but starting gaining soon after. He is doing so well, we have been given the option to leave a day early :)
Yay, we are going home! 3 days old
Charlie's
birth wasn't what I was hoping it would be and yet it turned out much
more than I was expecting. My pregnancy was a bit rough physically and
emotionally I had to acknowledge and address deep feelings from Elena's
traumatic birth. I am so fortunate to have two healthy babies.
Charlie is full of love, Elena is full of light...together we are complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment
We love hearing from you!